By James O. Wilkes
The Chemical Engineer’s sensible advisor to Fluid Mechanics: Now contains COMSOL Multiphysics 5
Since such a lot chemical processing purposes are performed both in part or absolutely within the fluid section, chemical engineers desire mastery of fluid mechanics. Such wisdom is principally precious within the biochemical, chemical, strength, fermentation, fabrics, mining, petroleum, prescribed drugs, polymer, and waste-processing industries.
Fluid Mechanics for Chemical Engineers: with Microfluidics, CFD, and COMSOL Multiphysics five, 3rd Edition, systematically introduces fluid mechanics from the viewpoint of the chemical engineer who needs to comprehend genuine actual habit and clear up real-world difficulties. construction at the booklet that earned Choice Magazine’s impressive educational name award, this variation additionally offers a complete creation to the preferred COMSOL Multiphysics five software.
This 3rd variation comprises broad insurance of either microfluidics and computational fluid dynamics, systematically demonstrating CFD via exact examples utilizing COMSOL Multiphysics five and ANSYS Fluent. The bankruptcy on turbulence now offers beneficial CFD strategies to enquire sensible events reminiscent of turbulent blending and recirculating flows.
Part I bargains a transparent, succinct, easy-to-follow advent to macroscopic fluid mechanics, together with actual houses; hydrostatics; simple cost legislation; and primary rules of circulation via apparatus. half II turns to microscopic fluid mechanics:
- Differential equations of fluid mechanics
- Viscous-flow difficulties, a few together with polymer processing
- Laplace’s equation; irrotational and porous-media flows
- Nearly unidirectional flows, from boundary layers to lubrication, calendering, and thin-film applications
- Turbulent flows, displaying how the k-ε approach extends traditional mixing-length theory
- Bubble movement, two-phase circulation, and fluidization
- Non-Newtonian fluids, together with inelastic and viscoelastic fluids
- Microfluidics and electrokinetic stream results, together with electroosmosis, electrophoresis, streaming potentials, and electroosmotic switching
- Computational fluid mechanics with ANSYS Fluent and COMSOL Multiphysics
Nearly a hundred thoroughly labored useful examples contain 12 new COMSOL five examples: boundary layer circulation, non-Newtonian move, jet circulate, die circulation, lubrication, momentum diffusion, turbulent circulation, and others. greater than three hundred end-of-chapter difficulties of various complexity are awarded, together with numerous from collage of Cambridge checks. the writer covers all fabric wanted for the fluid mechanics component to the pro engineer’s exam.
The author’s site (fmche.engin.umich.edu) presents extra notes, problem-solving counsel, and errata.
Register your product at informit.com/register for handy entry to downloads, updates, and corrections as they develop into available.