By Alexander W. Astin
The writer calls on his colleagues in better schooling to come the point of interest to the real undertaking of constructing the possibility of each one pupil: even if “smart” they're after they get to school, either the scholar and the school could be capable of convey what they realized whereas there.
Unfortunately, faculties and universities have embraced very slender definitions of smartness: the direction grade and particularly the standardized try. a wide physique of analysis exhibits that it'll be very tricky for schools to meet their said venture except they considerably expand their notion to incorporate pupil characteristics akin to management, social accountability, honesty, empathy, and citizenship.
Specifically, the ebook grapples with concerns akin to the following:
• Why America’s 3,000-plus schools and universities have developed right into a hierarchical pecking order, the place associations compete with one another to recruit “smart” scholars, and the place a handful of elite associations on the most sensible of the pecking order join the “smartest” students.
• Why better schooling favors its smartest scholars to the purpose the place the “not so shrewdpermanent” scholars get second-class treatment.
• Why such a lot of schools locate it tough to make reliable on their dedication to affirmative motion and “equality of opportunity.”
• Why university schools are inclined to price being clever greater than constructing scholars’ smartness (i.e., instructing and learning).
Read or Download Are You Smart Enough?: How Colleges' Obsession with Smartness Shortchanges Students PDF
Similar college & university education books
According to empirical research utilizing configuration thought and multi-dimensional scaling, this publication presents perception into varieties of relationships that may be stumbled on among teams of nations with sure institutional context good points, and into the standard and fairness in their schooling procedure. during this quantity, the authors take in the problem of contemplating what a eu ‘settlement’ may perhaps seem like.
Studying in secondary college school rooms comprises even more than scholars reciting the "right" solutions on high-stakes assessments. This activity-packed e-book encourages educators to maneuver past conventional versions of training and studying and offers them with the instruments for purchasing all started. a hundred Experiential studying actions for Social reviews, Literature, and the humanities, Grades 512 makes a speciality of utilizing lively studying to have interaction scholars in severe pondering and mirrored image approximately complicated content material wisdom within the humanities and the humanities.
This quantity is designed to light up the academic reviews of Black girls, from the time they earn their highschool diplomas via graduate learn, with a specific concentrate on their doctoral experiences, by way of exploring the commonalities and the individuality in their person paths and demanding situations. The chapters of this quantity newly establish key elements and reports that form Black women’s engagement or disengagement with better schooling.
During this 3rd quantity of the sequence, examine on schooling in Africa, the Caribbean and the center East, the amount keeps with the formerly tested overarching function of publishing chapters which are dependent upon study carried out in these areas by means of students, a lot of whom are indigenous to the areas they write approximately and are, hence, capable of offer cultural insights approximately suitable matters, in addition to nonindigenous students who've performed their experiences in international locations in the areas or approximately these areas.
- Shaping the American Faculty: Perspectives on the History of Higher Education
- Access and Expansion Post-Massification: Opportunities and Barriers to Further Growth in Higher Education Participation (International Studies in Higher Education)
- Finish Your Dissertation, Darling!: Successful Strategies for Overcoming Procrastination, Isolation, Writing Blocks, Wish for Perfection, Unresponsive ... Troublesome Relatives & Research Gone
- Understanding Undergraduates: Challenging our preconceptions of student success (SEDA Series)
- Funding the Future: Philanthropy's Influence on American Higher Education
- Scars from the Tornado
Extra resources for Are You Smart Enough?: How Colleges' Obsession with Smartness Shortchanges Students
Are You Smart Enough?: How Colleges' Obsession with Smartness Shortchanges Students by Alexander W. Astin