By Martha P. Nochimson
- Brings jointly the main leading edge, in-depth, and engaging scholarship on arguably the best dwelling Asian filmmaker, from a multinational crew of demonstrated and emerging movie students and critics
- Covers a massive breadth of issues resembling the culture of the jianghu in Wong's movies; queering Wong's movies no longer by way of gender yet throughout the artist's liminality; the phenomenological Wong; Wong's intertextuality; the USA via Wong's eyes; the optics of intensities, thresholds, and transfers of strength in Wong's cinema; and the diasporic presence of a few women from Shanghai in Wong's Hong Kong
- Examines the political, historic, and sociological impression of Wong and his paintings, and discusses his paintings from numerous views together with smooth, post-modern, postcolonial, and queer theory
- Includes appendices which learn Wong’s paintings in Hong Kong tv and commercials
Read Online or Download A Companion to Wong Kar-wai (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors) PDF
Best film & video art books
In Japan and masses of Europe, Ozu is broadly thought of to be one of many most interesting movie administrators who ever lived. whereas Ozu has a powerful popularity within the West, his motion pictures are usually not as famous or generally favored within the U. S. as they're somewhere else. A amazing exception to this pattern is movie critic Roger Ebert, who lately wrote that Ozu is certainly one of his "three or 4” favourite administrators.
What's the dating among cinema and spectator? this can be the most important query for movie idea, and person who Thomas Elsaesser and Malte Hagener placed on the middle in their insightful and interesting e-book, now revised from its renowned first variation. all types of cinema (and each movie conception) first imagines a terrific spectator, after which maps definite dynamic interactions among the reveal and the spectator’s brain, physique and senses.
The 1st number of serious essays at the movie paintings of the thinker Jacques Rancière. Jacques Rancière rose to prominence as a thorough egalitarian thinker, political theorist and historian. lately he has intervened into the discourses of movie idea and picture reviews, publishing arguable and demanding works on those themes.
In Exception Taken, Jonathan Buchsbaum examines the events that experience emerged towards the homogenizing strength of Hollywood in worldwide filmmaking. whereas ecu cinema was once getting into a gentle decline within the Nineteen Eighties, France sought to bolster aid for its movie lower than the recent Mitterrand govt.
- How Filming Technique Helped Tim Burton to Realize his Vision of "Alice in Wonderland": Green Screen Filming and CGI Technique in the Film
- Steven Soderbergh (Contemporary Film Directors)
- American Media and the Memory of World War II (Routledge Research in Cultural and Media Studies)
- An Invention without a Future: Essays on Cinema
- Donald Shebib's 'Goin' Down the Road' (Canadian Cinema)
- The Fox Film Corporation, 1915–1935: A History and Filmography
Extra resources for A Companion to Wong Kar-wai (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors)
A Companion to Wong Kar-wai (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors) by Martha P. Nochimson